Gwaddolion bywoliaeth Llangynfelyn
Endowments of the Living of Llangynfelyn
Diocese of St. Davids.
Particulars relating to Endowments etc., of Livings.
Vol. III. - Archdeaconry of Cardigan.
By T. W. Barker
Diocesan Registrar of St. Davids Diocese
Carmarthen: Printed by W. Spurrell and Son
A PERPETUAL CURACY.
In Private Patronage.
Extract from Bacon's Liber Regis under the head of Not in Charge: - "Llanganfeling alias Llangynfelin alias Llangafalon C (St. Cynfelin) Bishop Patr. £6 13s. 4d. certified value."
Value in 1809, £29 9s. 4d., arising from Augmentation, Fixed Stipend and Surplice Fees.
The Report of 1835 gives the gross and net value as £83.
Gross income in 1906, £143 7s. 2d., consisting of the following annual payments: -
1. £6 13s. 4d. charged on the Tithe Rent-charge, and paid by the Lay Impropriator.
2. £5 10s., annual value of fields in the parish of Llangynfelin, containing 3.137 acres, and numbered 466, 423 and 627 on the Ordnance Map.
3. £30 received from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
4. £101 3s. 10d. received from the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty.
1. The Tithe Rent-charge of the parish, commuted at £220, belongs to lay impropriators. The stipend of £6 13s. 4d. is secured by Stipend Deed of 1772 by Mr. John Chichester.
2. This land was bought in 1899 by the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty for £154 14s. 2d. out of benefactions and grants, as shown under No. 4.
3. The £30 consists of the following sums: (a) £3 interest on £100 subscriptions in 1886, (b) £3 interest on £100 from Diocesan Fund in the same year, (c) £6 annual grant made on 6th May, 1886, to meet such gifts, (d) £3 interest on £100 subscriptions in 1901, (e) £3 interest on £100 from Diocesan Fund in same year, (f) £6 interest on £200 grant made on 18th April, 1901, to meet such gifts, (g) £1 10s., interest on £50 subscriptions in 1905, (h) £1 10s., interest on £50 from Diocesan Fund in same year, and (i) £3 interest on £100 granted on 4th May, 1905 to meet such gifts.
4. The £101 3s. 10d. is interest on £3,373 2s. 1d., composed of the following sums: (a) £1,524 11s. 10d., consisting of £200 and £1,200 grants made in 1810 and 1816 out of the Parliamentary Grants by lot, with £124 11s. 10d. added as profits on stock transactions in connection therewith; (b) £10 12s. 9d., balance of £200 grant made in 1811 out of the Royal Bounty money by lot, after deducting £189 7s. 3d. spent on the Parsonage in 1870; (c) £400 in 1890, consisting of £100 given by the Bishop of St. David's, £100 from Diocesan Fund, and £200 grant to meet such gifts; (d) £245 5s. 10d., balance of £400 in 1897, consisting of £100 subscriptions, £100 from Diocesan Fund, and £200 grant to meet such gifts, less the £154 14s. 2d. expended in the purchase of land, No. 2 above; and (e) £1,192 11s. 8d., proceeds of sale of Bounty lands in 1868 and 1870, £1,200 with £41 6s. 10d. added in respect of profits on stock transactions, less £13 8s. 2d. costs in 1869, and £35 7s. in 1870. The lands sold were (1) a farm in the parish of Llanrhystid, bought in 1776 for £400, the amount of two grants of £200 each made in 1747 and 1776 (or 1767) out of the Royal Bounty money by lot, and sold in 1870 for £900, and (2) lands in the parish of Lledrod, bought in 1813 for £200 grant made in 1786 out of the Royal Bounty money by lot, and sold in 1868 for £300.
The Parish Church has a burial-ground containing about an acre, a portion of which, 40 yards by 60½ yards, was given by the Bishop of St. David's and Mrs. Basil Jones on 20th September, 1877.
There is a Mission Room at Taliesin.
The Parsonage has a Stable, etc., and garden containing about 38 perches. The site, 1a. 1r. 18p. in extent, valued at £59 10s., was given by Sir Pryse Pryse, and conveyed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners by Deed dated 27th April, 1868. As mentioned above the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty spent £189 7s. 3d. on the Parsonage. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners have expended £540 10s. on it, made up of £240 10s., subscriptions in 1868, and £300 granted on 18th June, 1868, to meet such gift and the benefaction of the site.