Hafan
Home
 | 
 | 
Chwilio
Search
 | 
 | 
Hanes a dogfennau
History & records
 | 
 | 
Disgrifiadau a chyfeirlyfrau
Descriptions and directories


[1914]  [1920]

Kelly's Directory of South Wales, 1895

LLANCYNFELYN is a parish in the county of Cardigan, on the road from Aberystwith to Machynlleth, 3 miles from Ynyslas station, on the Cambrian railway, and 9 north-north-east from Aberystwith station, on the Cambrian and Manchester and Milford railways, hundred, union and county court district of Aberystwith, petty sessional division of Upper Geneu'r-Glyn, rural deanery of Llanbadarn fawr, archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's. The church of St. Cynvelin, restored in 1845, is an ancient building of stone, consisting of nave, aisles, transept, south porch, and a small turret, containing 1 bell. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1770; marriages, 1754; & burials, 1772. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value 114, net 106, with one acre of glebe, in the gift of the bishop of St. David's as private patronage, and held since 1888 by the REv. Griffith Roderick B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter. There are Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodist chapels. The Clethor Valley in this neighbourhood is a great attraction to visitors, and about a mile west is Bedd Taliesin, the reputed burial place of the famous Welsh bard, Taliesin, who flourished in the 6th century. Lodge Park is the seat of Pryse Pryse Pryse esq.; the mansion is a stone edifice, in a park of 100 acres, and commands fine views of the surrounding country; Sir Pryse Pryse bart. and the Bishop of St. David's are the chief landowners. The soil is clayey. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 6,556 acres; the population in 1891 was 676.
Sexton, Lewis Davies.
Post Office.-Mrs. Ann Pugh, sub-postmistress. Letters received through Glandovey R.S.O. at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. Talybont is the nearest M. O. & T. office
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1871; John Jones, clerk to the board; Richard Evans, attendance officer
Board School (mixed), erected in 1871, for 180 children; David Jones, master
PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Jones Rt. Rev. William Basil (LOrd Bishop of St. David's), Gwynfryn
Pryse Pryse Pryse J.P. Lodge Park
Roberts Rev. John Evan (Wesleyan), Wesley villa
Roderick Rev. Griffith B.A. Vicarage
COMMERCIAL
Arter David, master mrnr. Cynvelin vil
Davies John, carpenter, Taliesin
Evans Edwd. Commercial inn, Trerddol
Jones Jas. FreeTradeHall P.H. Taliesin
Lloyd Edward, grocer, Taliesin
Pugh Ann (Mrs.), grocer & post office, Taliesin
Pugh Evan, carpenter, Taliesin
Rees John, Halfway inn, Trerddol
Rees Thos. blacksmith, Trerddol
Thomas Lewis, miller(watr.), Trerddol
Williams David, mine agent, Trerddol
Williams Lewis, butcher, Trerddol
Williams Peter, grocer, Trerddol
FARMERS
Davies David, Cefnweiriog
Davies John, Dolangwyn
Evans John, Pantglosbach
Evans John, Taullau
Griffiths Isaac, Brickyard
Griffiths James, Dolcletur
Griffiths Thomas, Doleindd
Griffiths Thomas, Llwynwallter
Jenkins Edward, Penybanc
Jenkins Richard, Henhafod
Jones Jenkin, Gelly
Jones James, & assistant overseer, Tymaur mochw
Jones John, Pantgoch
Jones John, Penpompren
Jones John, Tymaur mochw
Jones Richard, Glanmorfa
Jones Thomas, Gwarcwmbach
Jones William, Gwarcwmissa
Lloyd Isaac, Cefngerlodd
Mason William, Lletywyndyn
Phillips Richard, Erglodd
Richards Isaac, Ynystudor
Thomas Edward, Tynllwyn
Thomas James, Glanclettur
Thomas John, Frongoch
Thomas Thomas, Neuadd Yrynys
Thomas William, Glandovey
(Transcriber's note: the spelling of the house names in the list above is rather erratic! They have been left as in the original.)



[Brig y dudalen/Top of page][Hawlfraint/Copyright]